Help us welcome our new Community Health Worker, Florsina Stinson, C-CHW!
Thanks to a partnership with the CelebrateOne Connector Corps and United Health Foundation, we are able to train and hire a CHW to work with families in the area. Check out the calendar below for the meet-and-greet to give Flo a high-five for saving babies! She will have morning office hours in our coworking space M-F throughout the summer.
In response to Donald Trump’s deportation force, we have created a nonprofit, AVANZA Together, to ensure that every family facing deportation in Central Ohio knows where to turn for support and every concerned community member knows how to help.
Columbus needs a dedicated deportation point person, a Community Deportation Advocate (CDA), to assist families impacted by deportation. Our goal is to raise $75,000 over the next 12 months to hire a full-time CDA’s salary, benefits, and operating costs so that we can ensure that every family facing deportation in Central Ohio has access to and knowledge of every community resource currently available to them. We have already raised $4,000 and are interviewing to hire a part-time CDA in the next couple of weeks. Please visit AvanzaTogether.org to donate now. You can also donate by mail. Our address is 1069 W Broad St, Columbus, OH 4322. Please make checks payable to “Avanza Together.” Please email Victoria directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get involved in other ways.
April Events Calendar @ Bottoms Up:
- The Women’s Fund Equal Pay Equal Say Conversation, Thursday, 4/6 from 8-9:3oam Do you believe women and men deserve equal pay for equal work? Equal Pay Day falls on Tuesday, April 4th this year. Share your experience and perspective during the week of April 3rd as we raise awareness about the gender pay gap. During #WageWeek community partners will host Gender By Us™ conversations through the lens of the wage gap to elevate the dialogue and drive solutions. Register here.
- Bottoms Up Game Night, Friday, 4/7 from 5:30pm-7:30pm Join the Bottoms Up Mentor Corps as we host Bottoms Up Game night along with Franklinton Prep Academy every first Friday of the month! Free admission and hot chocolate included!
- Third Class/Virginia’s Playlist Tour, Saturday, 4/8 from 7-8pm “On their latest offering, Virginia’s Playlist, Indie Rock mainstays craft a heartfelt, touching and often cynical story that takes the listeners across time and space, with all of the whirlwind emotions in between.” (Raw Alternative) Check out a sampling of their music here.
- Bottoms Up Book Club “EVICTED: Poverty and Profit in the Great American city.” Tuesday 4/11 from 6-7pm Chapters 1-12. This 7-part book club will open your eyes to the homelessness epidemic facing many cities throughout the country, specifically 8 families in Milwaukee as they struggle to keep a roof over their head. The book club will culminate with an opportunity to attend the Community Shelter Board’s Under One Roof annual fundraiser and hear from the author, Matthew Desmond himself. Two commissioners on the Columbus Women’s Commission, Housing Committee will be leading the conversations about the text, policy analysis and news supplement.
- Community Health Worker Meet-and-Greet Friday, 4/21 from 9-11am: Meet our new CHW, Florsina “Flo” Stinson and learn more about the important work she will be doing with families in the neighborhood to reduce infant mortality by addressing social determinants of health.
- Bottoms Up Open Mic, Friday 4/21 from 6-8pm This FREE event is open to performers and spectators of all ages. Instrumentalists, singers, dancers, storytellers, poets, jugglers, magicians and others are all welcome. Audience seating and speaker line-up is on a first-come-first-served basis.
- The Cheesecake Girl: Cheesecake Pop-Up Shop Saturday, 4/22 @ 11am One of a kind, made from scratch cheesecakes made locally in Columbus, Ohio. Try a pairing of your favorite beverage with delicious mini-cheesecake for a limited time only!
- Bottoms Up Book Club “EVICTED: Poverty and Profit in the Great American city.” Tuesday, 4/25 @ 6-7pm Chapters 1-16.
On Easter weekend, we also had the great pleasure of being visited by the Mayor of Columbus, Andrew Ginther. We gave him a tour of our space and update on our efforts reducing infant mortality by addressing social determinants of health.